The Pierobon Lead 2 is one of the signature mouthpieces of Wedge endorsing artist Marco Pierobon of the Gomalan Brass. The Lead 2 is similar in size and depth to a Yamaha Eric Miyashiro signature mouthpiece. This mouthpiece has a very comfortable Gabriel style rim with a lateral dip of 15/1000". The Pierobon Lead 2 incorporates our new DOC (double oval cup) that carries the oval rim shape into the base of the cup. Wedge plastic mouthpieces are machined from black Delrin just like our brass and stainless steel models. They have all the advantages of a metal Wedge mouthpiece, the main difference being that they play with a darker sound. Slotting and response is excellent. Plastic one piece mouthpieces have a size 25 throat as the default.
- Feels softer on the chops because it has more give than metal. This is a great advantage for players with braces.
- Not as slippery as silver, giving more grip.
- Added grip makes Delrin mouthpieces feel smaller than their metal counterparts with the same size designation.
- Not as smooth as metal, so some players may feel slight chop irritation for the first day or two while they adjust.
- More comfortable to play in cold weather because they feel warm on the chops.
- Plastic mouthpieces are more responsive than brass, making soft entries more secure.
- Articulation less crisp with less point at the front of the note compared to brass.
- Darker sound than brass.
- Less core in the sound compared to brass.
- Sounds darker than brass mouthpiece when used with brass or stainless steel backbore.