Large and Small Shanks
- Our most popular standard Wedge trombone models currently available for tenor and bass trombone are shown in the comparison chart at the link below.
- We offer mouthpieces with the usual Small shank and / or Large shank, depending on the mouthpiece size.
- Small shanks are found on smaller mouthpieces such as Bach 12C, 7C.
- The tip of a small shank measures about .427 inches (10.85 mm)
- Large shanks are found on larger tenor and bass trombone mouthpieces such as the Bach 1-1/2G.
- The tip of a large shank measures about .5 inches (12.73 mm)
- Note that many medium sized trombone mouthpieces are offered with either a large or small shank.
- Remington shank mouthpieces are available for tenor sizes 100AL, 101GS, 101G 103G, and 104G.
- The Remington shank is a large shank with slightly slower Brown and Sharp taper compared to the regular Morse taper.
- It is used in certain (mostly vintage) tenor and bass trombones with a Remington receiver. Remington shanks were used in many vintage Conn large bore trombones starting in Elkhart, (1954-70) to Abilene, TX (1970-86) to Eastlake, OH (1986-92) Conn 8H, 88H, 60H, 62H, 70H-73H from around 1954 until the early 90’s.
- The modern 88H accepts a regular Morse taper mouthpiece.
- A Morse taper mouthpiece will not seat properly in a Remington receiver, and notes will not slot or speak as well as they would with a Remington shank mouthpiece.
- A Remington shank will not insert far enough into a regular receiver, and will wobble because the tip is larger than a regular large shank mouthpiece.
- The tip of a Remington shank measures about .510 inches (12.95 mm)
Medium European Shanks
Medium European shanks for available for trombone sizes 100AL, 101G, 103G, 104G, and for all euphonium sizes.
Some bass trombones, for example some vintage King models, have an extra deep receiver.
If your mouthpiece inserts more than 1.25 inches (31 mm) into your leadpipe be sure to select the BT Deep Receiver option when ordering bass trombone mouthpieces.
The tip of our medium shank measures .463 inches (11.76 mm)
THERE IS SIGNIFICANT VARIABILITY BETWEEN MEDIUM EUROPEAN SHANKS FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS. CALL BEFORE ORDERING.