Discounted items are Final Sale and will not be accepted for refunds or exchanges.
- Characteristics - The Gianluca C 2 is one of the signature mouthpieces of Gianluca Scipioni of the Gomalan Brass Quintet. This mouthpiece has a rim inner diameter of 1.049, slightly smaller than the Gianluca C, similar to a Bach 3 or Alessi 5. The rim is wider and more cushioned that the stock Wedge trombone rim with a bite radius of .08 and a lateral dip of 13/1000". The cup depth is intermediate between a Bach 5G and 5GS (similar to the old Bach 5G). Gianluca's own mouthpiece is based on a Wedge LS2 blank and backbore with a .266 throat. Also available as a small shank .260 throat model.
- Delrin -
- Feels softer on the chops because it has more give than metal. This is a great advantage for players with braces.
- Not as slippery as silver, giving more grip.
- Added grip makes Delrin mouthpieces feel smaller than their metal counterparts with the same size designation.
- Not as smooth as metal, so some players may feel slight chop irritation for the first day or two while they adjust.
- More comfortable to play in cold weather because they feel warm on the chops.
- Plastic mouthpieces are more responsive than brass, making soft entries more secure.
- Articulation less crisp with less point at the front of the note compared to brass.
- Darker sound than brass.
- Less core in the sound compared to brass.
- Sounds darker than brass mouthpiece when used with brass or stainless steel backbore.
- Acclimatization - Acclimatization time varies, but most players find they have fully adjusted to the new rim shape within a few days. Most players are able to alternate between a Wedge rim and conventional rim, although the vast majority of players will convert all of their mouthpieces to the Wedge design because of its obvious advantages once they have adapted. We do offer discounts to players who need to purchase a number of Wedge mouthpieces for various instruments.