Characteristics - The 98AL has a cup depth similar to a Bach 6-1/2AL or Bach 7, and a rim diameter of .980 inches similar to a Bach 7 or 7C. The 98AL has a .270 (.686mm) throat.
- Feels softer on the chops because it has more give than metal. This is a great advantage for players with braces.
- Not as slippery as silver, giving more grip.
- Added grip makes Delrin mouthpieces feel smaller than their metal counterparts with the same size designation.
- Not as smooth as metal, so some players may feel slight chop irritation for the first day or two while they adjust.
- More comfortable to play in cold weather because they feel warm on the chops.
- Plastic mouthpieces are more responsive than brass, making soft entries more secure.
- Articulation less crisp with less point at the front of the note compared to brass.
- Darker sound than brass.
- Less core in the sound compared to brass.
- Sounds darker than brass mouthpiece when used with brass or stainless steel backbore.
Shank Options: Also available in large shank, medium European shank, and Remington shank. If you need a Medium-European shank or Remington shank please add that comment to the order notes at checkout.