The Wedge 66S British cornet mouthpiece is designed specifically for use on the soprano cornet. The cup is shallower than the Wedge Medium Deep or Wick B cornet cup. It produces an excellent balance of upper register support with a sweet tone and the projection needed for soprano cornet without being overly bright.
- Inner Diameter: .660 measured .04 inches into the cup.
- Outer Diameter: 1.094
- Throat: 20
- Cup Depth: Medium Shallow (Similar to Wedge RT or Wick S cornet mouthpiece cup)
- Backbore: This mouthpiece comes on a Wedge British (Short) Cornet backbore.
- Feels softer on the chops because it has more give than metal. This is a great advantage for players with braces.
- Not as slippery as silver, giving more grip.
- Added grip makes Delrin mouthpieces feel smaller than their metal counterparts with the same size designation.
- Not as smooth as metal, so some players may feel slight chop irritation for the first day or two while they adjust.
- More comfortable to play in cold weather because they feel warm on the chops.
- Plastic mouthpieces are more responsive than brass, making soft entries more secure.
- Articulation less crisp with less point at the front of the note compared to brass.
- Darker sound than brass.
- Less core in the sound compared to brass.
- Sounds darker than brass mouthpiece when used with brass or stainless steel backbore.